Course Outline for Metaphors of Movement Levels 1 & 2 With Andrew T. Austin
Level 1. The Foundation
An overview of the structure of MoM and the delivery of the change work process. Level 1 is the preparatory training that equips trainees to safely practice basic content-free MoM sessions for remedial change work purposes. Complete with lots of practice opportunities in the breakout rooms, these first four tutorial sessions will cover the full outline, logic and rationale for the MoM work and enable you to create a session structure for your work with metaphors.
Online Sessions 1-4
Included in these 4 modules:
- The full outline of the MoM process and session structure.
- The neurological rationale for the MoM processes.
- The listening for, and the effective use of, idiomatic communication.
- An introduction to boundary violations.
- The problem of problems when the solution isn’t the solution.
- Applying the metaphoric solution to the real-world problem.
Online Session 5
Introduction to Metaphor Taxonomy and Creating Digital Change. A grand title for examining the different aspects of features within the metaphor. These “taxonomies” each pertain to some very specific emotional and experiential data. When we know what these things pertain to, the level of detail that emerges from the persons simple metaphor is quite remarkable.
- The Structure of Outcomes. It’s not commonly thought about, but the client’s intended outcome will have a specific metaphoric structure to it. Now, what we are going to is compare the structure of the clients out to the structure of the problem. You are going to find just how much they mismatch, and of course, this is why their intended solution to the problem hasn’t worked. This is where we can begin to work out very special magic…
Online Session 6
- The Obstructions: external rules and values. Got something or someone who gets in the way of your progress? Feel blocked, hemmed in, unable to move forwards or do what it right? Do you work with obstructive people who’s only job in life appears to be to obstruct others? In this module, we are going to examine the structure of obstructions and find out exactly what they mean and how we can deal with them more efficiently.
Online Session 7
- The Containers: container metaphors, inherited status, families, and long term problems. Ever felt trapped? Enclosed? Suffocated? Want to break out and escape your life or situation? Container metaphors are the most common category of metaphor you will encounter when exploring the metaphor of experience. In this module, we examine container metaphors, what they mean, and what exactly you can do about them.
Online Session 8
- The Burdens: responsibilities and guilts. Feel weighed down by your trouble? Carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders? Really feeling the gravity of the situation? These burdens metaphors have a number of categories and when you know what these categories pertain to, your mind-reading skills will amaze you and your clients.
- The Elevations: acquired status. Every metaphor will reveal elevation. And in this we find what seems to be a paradox: even by its absence, elevation in metaphor is revealed. What the knowledge of this taxonomy can do for your work and career as well as social anxieties will amaze you.
Level 2. The Metaphoric Hierarchy
Level 2 is an exploration of how different metaphors logically lead to new metaphors, idioms and simile and how these can be arranged hierarchically. The overall theme of this level is that of relationships and emotional health. Level 2 training completes the practitioner status initiated at level 1. I don’t directly teach what this hierarchy is, but the more observant student will soon be able to work it out for themselves.
This material has two parts:
- Introduction to relationships and creating analogical and generative change
- Symbolism and time predication in metaphor
Online Session 9
(a). Introduction to relationships and creating analogical and generative change
- Relational Positions: where we stand in relation to others. Ok, I can’t pretend. I think this is one of the most important and most profound pieces of work I have ever developed. This module alone is enough to change the courses of some people’s lives for the better.
Online Session 10
- The Hurts: emotional injury and emotional health. This is one of the biggest modules in the MoM work and is the one that generates the most interest and questions after the training. I’ve scheduled to open-forum tutorials at the end of this series for any questions and additions that we aren’t able to cover in this session.
Online Session 11
- The Fulfilments: emotional trading and transactions. Feeling empty? Drained? Got so much to give but no one to share it with? Fulfilment metaphor is the fabric of all social interaction, and yet isn’t actually taught to people in most developed cultures. Regrettably, most people are expected to work this stuff out for themselves, and many of us get it so, so wrong. This hilarious module will show you where you got it wrong and just how to put it right. You are going to love this one!
Online Session 12
- Dreamwork and dream analysis. I suspect that for some of you, this could be a very lucrative and rewarding career. This module will show you how to apply everything learned so far to dreamwork and dream analysis. This also opens up the issue of time coding within metaphor and introduces the difference between time predication and chronology in metaphor and dreams.
Online Session 13
- Introduction to Metaphors of Time. This is just a precursor to The Time Portal (Level 6) and will blow your mind. This is the point in the training where you discover just how deep the rabbit hole goes with it comes to metaphors work.
Online Session 14
- Introduction to Metaphors of Business and Money. This is the precursor to Metaphors of Business and Money (Level 4&5) and gives you enough to get started on applying the MoM work to your business and finances. This introductory module will give you enough material to get started on redesigning your business, developing your concept or plan and getting things into action.
Addendum Tutorials 15 & 16
Basically, I want to keep these two tutorials open so I can use the time to complete any pieces that need further clarification, MoM demonstrations, additional material and also for some Q&A.
About a month after the completion of module 16, we will organise x2 live half-day webinars for Q&A – participants will be invited to send their questions in ahead of time.